Closing Sales Techniques
Closing Sales Techniques and when to use them is by far the most common enquiry we receive from Sales Managers and Business Owners. Whilst I completely sympathize and understand their need to close more sales, unfortunately the need for Closing Sales Techniques, is actually an indication of a more deep rooted sales problem and culture as follows.
If you imagine for a minute that you have a bad cold, and you go for an appointment at the Doctors. As you walk into the Doctor’s office and sit down, he asks “How may I help you?”, to which you reply “I have a runny nose”. What would your opinion be of the Doctor if he produced a box of tissues? The Doctor would be guilty of treating the symptoms not the underlying problem. In reality after you have explained that you have a runny nose, your Doctor would use a follow up question such as “Are you experiencing any other problems?” If you truly had a bad cold you might say “Well, my throat is a bit tender”. Again the Doctor would use another follow up question such as “Anything else?” Note how the Doctor is never anxious to jump in. You answer “Well I think I have a bit of a fever.” Only after a full diagnosis will the Doctor prescribe any medicine. Hence the saying in Sales Training, “Prescription without proper Diagnosis is malpractice.”
Closing Sales Techniques Example
Let’s re-run the Closing Sales Techniques “problem” past a Sales Doctor (in abbreviated form for the sake of time).
Sales Manager “I wondered if you could come in and speak to our sales team? They are a really great bunch of guys, but they just need some help with Closing Sales Techniques to get some deals over the line”.
Sales Doctor “Well that’s not uncommon, I hear that a lot. Do you mind if I ask, when you say they are not closing enough sales, what steps or process do your sales people follow to make sure your prospects are qualified to close?”
Sales Manager “We get the team to use the milestones that our CRM has in place.”
Sales Doctor “Ok that makes sense, but can I ask what questions your people are asking to ensure the prospect is qualified to move from one stage of your CRM to the next?”
Sales Manager “Mmm I would say they are all using different questions and some are maybe using more questions than others. I guess it might not be a Closing Sales Techniques problem after all.
In the example above, note how the questions lead the prospect through a process of self discovery, where the prospect discovers for him/herself what really is, the root cause of the problem. Sales Professionals, like Doctors, know that most prospects misdiagnose their own situation and ask for solutions to treat the symptoms, not solutions to treat the problems.
Closing Sales Techniques may well be a problem that your sales team suffers from, however most typically, any problem that you encounter in the sales process, is rooted somewhere earlier on, in your sales process as the example clearly demonstrates.
As a quick reference you might want to use the following checklist, before you even give a prospect any form of presentation, let alone try to close them:
1) Does the prospect have a Gap between, what they have now and what they would like to have in the future, or what is the Gap between where they are now and where they want to be after you have delivered your product or service?
2) Does the prospect recognize the Gap and are they committed to closing the gap?
3) Does the prospect have adequate resources (one of these resources will be money) that they are willing and able to utilize to close the Gap?
4) Have you clearly identified the prospects decision making process and all those involved?
5) What is it the prospect would need to see in a presentation, that would make them say Yes?
So in summary, the best Sales Professionals do not need to use Closing Sales Techniques, as their prospects close the sale on themselves. Once you master this, you will find selling is much easier, and a much more enjoyable process for your sales team and your prospects.
- Next Generation Sales Enablement - 20th December 2017
- Sales & Marketing Graduates Deliver Real Value - 16th March 2017
- The Smarter Way to Sell More - 21st February 2017
- Why Choose You? - 21st January 2017
- 3 Lessons Every Business Can Learn from Candy Crush - 21st December 2016
- 5 Reasons Sales Pitching is NOT Selling - 7th November 2016
- How to get the Most from Sales Graduates - 24th October 2016
- Getting the Most from Sales Training Programmes - 10th October 2016
- How to Improve Sales in any B2B Sales Organisation - 26th September 2016
- How to Stop Competing & Still Win New Business - 7th September 2016